Cardiff Sport and Exercise Medicine Society is a student-led society, formed with Cardiff University. It was created because:
- Teaching of Sport and Exercise Medicine (SEM) is limited for undergraduates; we want to provide new and exciting learning opportunities
- To allow our members to benefit from being part of a society linked with highly qualified SEM professionals
- To bring enthusiastic and like-minded people together who may be interested in a career in SEM, as well as those studying subjects allied to the topics covered by SEM – physiology, anatomy, neurosciences.
- To share knowledge and experiences
- To improve access to relevant work experience (some of our members have had placements with team doctors and physiotherapists for the Welsh rugby and football teams, Olympic athletes, international golfers, and many more…)
Each year, we run an annual symposium – the Wales Exercise Medicine Symposium. This is a one-day conference involving eminent speakers in world of SEM, and brings many healthcare professionals and students together to engage in developments.