35 hours contact teaching time takes place over 5 days for this cardiac course and approximately 100 hours of independent study and reading is required.
Comprehensive syllabus which includes:-
- Cardiac rehabilitation the background
- The heart and cardiovascular system
- Risk factors
- Cardiovascular disease
- Pathology and presentation
- Investigation and diagnosis
- Medical / surgical treatments
- Cardiovascular endurance exercise
- Acute and chronic responses
- Benefit for cardiac patients
- The rehabilitation process
- Adapting exercise for particular groups of cardiac clients
- Exercise programming & prescription
- Motivating changes in exercise behaviour
- Changing behaviour & motivational interviewing
- Emergency procedures
You must hold an exercise qualification that is the equivalent of a UK Level 3 exercise referral qualification (for REPs Ireland members this is the EQF L5 Exercise for Health Specialist) and enclose with your application a copy of the certificate issued by the awarding body.
A relevant degree combined with evidence of extensive instructor experience may also be considered especially if the candidate also holds a L2 or Exercise referral qualification. In this case you will be required to produce evidence of the syllabus/modules relating to the theory and application of cardiovascular anatomy and physiology along with details of the assessment process.
If you are in any doubt about whether your training matches these standards visit PD:Approval’s website www.pdapproval.com/repsireland
Experience: Minimum of 150 hours of teaching adults land based cardiovascular exercise gained within the previous 2 years and at least 6 months experience since qualification
- Written presentation of one case study (Phase I-IV).
- Viva examination (30- 45 minutes)
- Multiple choice question written examination (1 hour)
Endorsed by PD:Approval for recognition by REPs Ireland