The qualification is broken down into the following units:
- Anatomy and physiology for exercise
- Health, safety and welfare in a fitness environment
- Principles of exercise, fitness and health
- Know how to support clients who take part in exercise and physical activity
- Planning health related exercise and physical activity for children
- Teaching health related exercise and physical activity for children
The course is assessed through observations and questions during the course and finally through 2 theory papers, session plans and submission of a video assessment of teaching. If the candidate is already level 2 qualified they would be exempt from some units. On completion candidates will be awarded a YMCA Awards Level 2 Certificate in Exercise and Physical Activity for Children which will also allow them to gain entry onto The Register of Exercise Professionals (REPs) at level 2.
Level 2 gym or exercise to music is recommended.
Practical assessment during the course, written questions and a final video assessment. For those who have not completed a previous level 2 certificate the mandatory units for this course are also required.