This online course can be accessed instantly in the comfort of your own home and is delivered by APPI Co-Founder Glenn Withers. You will have unlimited access to the content, including course manual. Pilates equipment is not included and must be purchased separately.
This one day workshop explores the use of Pilates exercises to improve the skill, strength and performance of cyclists. This unique program has been developed by APPI founder and elite age group triathlete Glenn Withers in consultation with elite level cyclists from the team GB squad. On the course, you will review the biomechanics and key physical attributes for cycling, as well as review the typical injuries seen and their contributing factors. Applying sound training principles, you will also explore the development of a high level, cycling specific Pilates programme.
Attendees will learn and understand:
- the key aspects of cycling biomechanics and performance
- the aetiology of cycling injuries and their contributing factors
- the role of Pilates in the cycling training
- how to effectively and appropriately train a cyclist using the APPI Pilates Method
- the use of visualisation and various feedback methods to improve cycling performance
Lectures will cover:
- Cycling biomechanics and performance
- Aetiology of cycling injuries
- Role of APPI Pilates Method in cycling training
Workshops will cover:
- Pilates for Cyclist class
- Use of matwork Pilates with the cyclist&
- Use of functional Pilates exercises specific to the cyclist
- Case study and programme design
What you will need
We recommend that you have the following Pilates equipment to hand if you wish to fully participate in all the exercises within this online course:
- 1 x head pad
- 1 x Pilates band – arms
- 1 x Pilates band – legs
- 1 x swiss ball
- Ankle weights (0.5 kg, 1kg & 2kg
The course is open to all Health and Fitness professionals with a special interest in sport based rehab. Due to the reference of Pilates-based principles, APPI Matwork Level One or the attendance at a 2-day matwork course at a recognised Pilates training institution is recommended, but not compulsory, for this course.
For REPs members wanting to claim REPS CPD Points the prerequisite is a L3 Pilates qualification.